Its a general tradition across customs to feed the child in silver utensils once solid food intake is started. They are given as gifts during baby shower or naming ceremony Are there any specific reason for it ?A big YES.
1. Anti bacterial and anti fungal Silver by nature kills bacterial and fungal growth hence it’s good to feed in utensils made it.
2. Boosts immunity Whenever food is served hot or warm in silver vessels, some of it gets infused with the food, which boosts immunity.
3. Non toxic Since it is anti bacterial and anti fungal it is non toxic , silver reacts when food contains poisonous substance like sulphur. ( do not feed egg in silver)
4. Retains freshness Food stored in silver utensils are said to be fresh for longer periods.
5. Easy maintenance Can be washed easily, and used for longer duration. Sometimes passed on from previous generations.
Medicines are generally fed using a ‘paladai’ or ‘sangu’.
POINTS TO NOTE: 1.Make sure utensils don’t have sharp edges which can hurt the baby.
2.Do not buy vessels with intricate carvings, this makes the cleaning process tedious.
Hence it is better than feeding in plastic .
SILVER AND DIGESTION
Silver-charged water was specifically known to do wonders to people who were having digestion and related problems. The anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties of silver eases problems in tummy, digestive tract and intestines. This water was also known to keep urinary problems away. Even in temples, the holy water was always stored in silver containers for the same reason
VESSELS GENERALLY USED FOR BABY:
- A spoon
- A bowl
- A pan
- A saucepan
- A tumbler
- A feeder for medicine
MAINTENANCE OF VESSEL
- Always wash in warm water.
- Use mild soaps.
- Wipe clean so that the vessel is not wet.
- Do not let the vessel dry after feeding.
- Keep the vessel clean from bacterial or microbial breeding.