Before resorting to check with the doctor for any ailments in little ones, I make sure that the home remedies have already been done for the ailment.
With the help of my mom, aunt and mother in law, I learnt a lot of home remedies to cure ailments for babies with ingredients readily available at home.
I used to keep jotting down the tips so that it would be useful for other moms who stay far off from parents or elders.
COLD AND COUGH
1. Boil beetle/ ajwain (omavalli or karpooravalli)/ tulsi leaves in water and reduce to half. Mix with honey and feed two spoons twice a day.
2. Heat ajwain seeds and tie them in a cloth as potli, rub on the chest to relieve chest congestion.
3. The above bundle can be placed near the cradle.
4. A cloth can be dipped in Eucalyptus oil and placed in the room where the baby is.
5. Feed warm milk and keep baby hydrated.
CONCOCTION FOR COLD AND COUGH
-ajwain 3 tbsp
-powdered jaggery or palm sugar -half tbsp
-pepper – 2 or 3
Cumin. 2 tbsp
Curry leaves 2-3
ajwain leaves 1
beetle leaf – small piece
honey – 1 tbsp
turmeric powder -1 tbsp
Tulsi leaves -2
water – 150 ml
Mix all the ingredients in the water
Boil till reduces to half level
Cool and feed it to the little one at regular intervals.
It will relieve from cough and cold.
Hiccups are caused due to sudden contraction of diaphragm and closing of the vocal chords. It usually happens when the child gets overexcited.
Some remedies are given below
1. Try to divert the baby.
2. Give them water to sip.
3. Make the baby lie down and pat their back.
4. Lift the baby , place on the shoulder and make him/her burp.
1. Pacifier can be freezed with breastmilk or formula milk in ice cube tray. Baby can suck this to soothe the gums.
2. Apply chamomile tea bags.
3. Teething rings can be given for chewing.
4 . Coconut oil or almond oil can be applied over the gums.
5. Cold towel can be given to be chewed.
Diaper rash is common in babies especially when they wear them for longer periods.
This can range from moderate to severe.
Apply a paste of sandalwood powder(from sandalwood stick and not sandalwood tablets sold over the counter)on the affected area.
This provides a cooling effect and also is soothing for the skin irritation.
We can also apply coconut oil whenever we wear the diaper on the little one.
Most important point to be kept in mind is each time we change diaper wipe with a clean cloth dipped in lukewarm water , air dry the area of five minutes, apply coconut oil generously.
It is even more better if we leave them diaper free for few hours during the day.
Urai marundhu is an ancient set of six items which are rubbed on a stone, mixed with water or breastmilk and given to the child.
This is generally given immediately after a bath.
The six items and their benefits are listed below.
*SWEET FLAG (VASAMBU)- Increases immunity and hunger.
*INK NUT (KADUKAI)- Increases bowel movement.
*MAASIKAI (GALL NUT/OAK NUT)- Prevents the white layer on tongue.
*INDIAN GINGER/SNAP GINGER (SITHARATHAI)- remedy from cold & cough.
*NUTMEG (JATHIKAI)- Induces good sleep.
*DRY GINGER (SUKKU)- remedy from cold & cough.
*TURMERIC (MANJAL/ HALDI) (OPTIONAL)- Antiseptic
The above list of items, the rubbing stone, the feeding spoon is available as kit online.
1. Mix Hing or asafoetida in water, make a paste. Apply from the navel on the tummy in anticlockwise direction.
2. Give two spoons of ajwain water or jeera water after each feed.
3. Include garlic in veggie puree.
4. Do bicycle excercise or peddling movement.
5.I LOVE YOU exercise
Rub the left side of baby tummy( your right side).
Rub in shape of inverted L and then and inverted U.
WONDER OIL AT HOME (CASTOR OIL)
Castor oil is very beneficial, especially when having a new born baby at home.
Castor oil is known to reduce body heat and have clean bowels.
Apply little castor oil on top of the head at the centre once your little one wake up.
Apply on the feet and tummy( naval and area around)
This will reduce body heat of the baby.
Especially during summer.
Calamus known as vasambu in Tamil is a wonder herb.
Best sought home remedy for almost any health ailments in new borns.
The vasambu stick is usually made as small beads and tied as bracelet in both hands. The babies lick it which cures almost all stomach ailments and gas troubles.It can also be put in a potli and kept near the cradle or bed.
The vasambu stick is kept handy at home.
It is burnt in fire and the charred pieces is made into powder, mixed with castor oil and applied on tummy.Right from day one.
This powder can also be given orally mixed with honey.
This can be done once a week.
The vasambu stick is also available in powder form in shops.
Given common names below
vasambu – Tamil
vasa Bach – Hindi